Monday, May 31, 2010

Grateful For Their Service

Happy Memorial Day! Originally called Decoration Day, we remember the fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and friends that paid the ultimate price for you, for me, for our country.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

Moina Michael

 
The Vietnam War was raging during my youth. I watched the national news with my parents in the evenings. The nightly body count left an indelible impression on me. The war touched the neighbors on either side of our home. The neighbors on the left lost two sons and to the right one of the daughters’ fiancĂ© received a Purple Heart. I have not had a personal connection to war again until recently when a friend of mine shipped out with his two brothers to Afghanistan, Their poor mother, because these brothers were protecting our freedom in the truest sense of the word. Seeing action, losing friends next to them, their lives have been altered forever so we may enjoy the fruits of freedom. I deeply appreciate the Callaway brothers’ service and sacrifice. My appreciation reaches out to all that are or have served and especially the fallen.

If there was ever a time our nation was in need of selfless individuals it is now. No, I’m not saying we all should don the costume and body armor there are numerous battles to engage within our communities. We need to give of ourselves when there is nothing to gain personally and cure a social ill.

Please allow me to share a story in this regard. Nine years ago I was sitting at Regan National waiting on the plane to arrive when in my peripheral vision I noticed someone walking briskly towards me. Before I could look up the individual was upon me. Raising my head I hear, Hi, I’m Bob Dole. He spent thirty minutes asking about my technology, where was home and why I was in DC. I had spent the week in Washington advocating for a change in Medicare policy (click link for details Newshour), I explained the purpose of my visit and he said, Bob Dole can help you. JUST KIDDING Senator Dole!!!! He did give me his card and said get in touch if I can help. He assisted four years logging numerous hours and going to the top, President Bush. I always kidded him saying I bet you quit handing out your card.

I was on a long list of individuals not known to anyone he has helped through out his life. We should mimic his selfless character and if referring to yourself in third person helps go for it! Thanks for reading. Have a great day! dj

No comments:

Post a Comment