Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Great Day

Have you ever paused and said, what a great day? We have all cursed days. I remember the first time it dawned on me I was having an exceptional day, it was on High Falls Lake. I was twelve aboard Halfpint, the first fishing boat I bought, a Sears Gamefisher. It cost $225, that was quite a few neighborhood lawns cut at three bucks a yard. After reeling in a small bass that had engulfed a crappie minnow I turned to my Dad and said “This is the best day of my life!”

Great days as I aged continued to be associated with the achievement of goals. After a sleepless night and my head pounding in the hot humid late May morning sun, graduating from Georgia was still a great day. Stepping out of J3 Piper Cub in the wilderness of Alaska was a great day. My first big month as a rookie stock broker was a great day.

The ALS diagnosis birthed a wonderful change in perspective. Initially I was very depressed thinking that the setting of big goals was no longer possible, but in time realized how much life elapsed unappreciated always hell bent shooting beyond the stars.

Don’t think for a minute I have quit super sizing my dreams, just fully appreciating the smell of the flowers along the way. Sorry about the brevity. Still weak from a bout of food poisoning, but woke up hungry this morning and knew it would be an excellent day! Thanks so much for reading. Have a great day! dj

2 comments:

  1. It's the little things that make life worth while and I do love the smell of flowers!

    ReplyDelete