Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Anything Left?

At the end of the day do you reflect on your accomplishments or do you agonize over the endless To Do list? Worry as defined in the dictionary: to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret. How can that ever be a productive use of time? Back to this in a moment.

Trying not to boast, however I have never taken life for granted. Prior to the ALS diagnosis I cannot fathom a guess how many times my Mom informed me I was burning the candle at both ends, occasionally when I was thoroughly exploiting my brief visit she would add for emphasis “and in the middle too!” My Dad said early in this gravity battle that I wasn’t sick I was just worn out because I had lived two lifetimes in ten years. My chest still puffs a bit with that rationale.

While capitalizing on all occasions to enjoy this stopover is a requirement it is not the end all to a fulfilling life. Going all in on every hand is the only way to play this game. Why attempt anything without expending your best effort? And “your” best effort not measured by anything beyond self. A mortal day will arrive for all of us when all desires will remain desires and we will reflect. I do not want that day to arrive with the inflexible realization I left chips one the table.

To live life entirely or as I prefer to say “full throttle” impediments require removal. Anchored in the past by hurt, anger or regret must be cast off. Forgive, forget and get underway. Torturing yourself with worry eliminates forward progress. Once you have exerted your best only Devine intervention can alter outcomes. Why waste precious time when it is beyond control?

Get busy living and ask yourself is there anything left? Thanks so much for reading. I truly appreciate your time. Have a great day! dj

1 comment:

  1. Please let mr remember this everyday. Thank you. Debbie

    ReplyDelete